Basic Guide to the installation of asphalt shingles on your roof
Asphalt shingles are a type of roof covering composed of a fiberglass or paper base, impregnated with asphalt and then coated with mineral granules to improve its weather resistance.
The installation of asphalt shingles on residential roofs is very popular due to its low cost, durability, ease of installation and wide variety of colors and styles.
In addition, it is a material that is resistant to fire, wind and temperature changes, making it a safe choice for many types of climates and weather conditions.
What is needed for the installation of asphalt shingles?
Before getting down to work, you will need to gather all the tools and materials necessary to effectively carry out the installation of asphalt shingles.
- Tin snips
- Chalk for marking
- Nails and asphalt adhesive
Of course, you will need to have purchased the rolls of asphalt shingles you need depending on the size of your roof. You can get them at a building supply store.
Instructions for the installation of asphalt shingles
- First of all, you should make sure that the roof is clean and free of debris and that the structure of the building is in good condition. In case of damage, it is best to immediately carry out the required repair or maintenance.
- Once this is verified, the first part of the installation of asphalt shingles will consist of measuring and marking the size of the rows of shingles. This is done to ensure that the placement will be done evenly and that it will fit the edges according to the size of the roof.
- Next, you will need to carefully cut the shingles using tin snips. This can also be done using a saw.
- Then, place the first tile on the edge of the roof. You must let it protrude at least 1 cm out of the base so that it serves as a leak stopper.
- Complete the first row using the adhesive or nails and hammer. Keep in mind that the joints must be offset, so the cuts should be made progressively to ensure that these separations are not at the same height.
- Repeat this process until you have completed the entire installation of asphalt shingles.
- Finally, clean the ceiling to remove dust and debris.
Tips for a good installation of asphalt shingles
One of the most important things to keep in mind when installing asphalt shingles is to make sure the roof is level. This is accomplished by measuring the roof with a level to make sure that there is no area with an unevenness greater than 1/8 inch.
If the roof is not level, additional wood planks should be placed to fill the gaps.
It is also important to ensure that the structure is securely fastened before beginning the installation of asphalt shingles.
On the other hand, it is recommended that you use all the safety elements established for this type of construction project. The proper handling of the tools will help to avoid discomfort and pain caused by the force exerted during the work. For this reason, it is best that a professional is in charge of the processes.
Finally, once you have finished installing the asphalt shingles, a coat of sealant can be applied to prevent water from pooling on the roof.
If you follow the instructions in this guide from Les Toitures Vallée & Fils, you can enjoy a new and protected roof for many years to come.